Are you a dreamer?

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Arthur O'Shaughnessy, from Ode

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Paper anniversary

My marriage will be one year old on March 19. I am not mentioning this to receive well wishes. I say this more out of wonderment, bewilderment, amazement... To think that God can bring two people together who are physically, emotionally, spiritually worlds apart until one striking moment that changes every other moment forever. It seems like a lifetime since I was standing at the alter-- not in a negative way, just in the way that means I cannot believe all that I didn't know when I made this choice! "And the two will become one flesh" means you become inextractable from one another and had I really understood that a year ago without the beautiful context for which I know it to exist, I don't think I would have taken the leap. The Lord is brilliant in revealing to us only what we are able to handle, because of course now I know that who I am is made up of as much of Josh as it is me and I understand that and wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, I welcome it. He makes me a better person!

Speaking of marriage, all who are married, going to be married, or ever want to be married, should definitely read this book by Mike Mason, The Mystery of Marriage. If you plan on reading nothing else, read this book! Josh and I read it during our engagement and are re-reading it as a gift for our anniversary. This is the most helpful book on marriage that I've ever read (and I've actually picked up quite a few). The language is beautiful and he cuts so deeply to the heart of the matter. Lots of self-examination here folks, so get ready.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt and Jamie said...

Congrats! We wish you well!
;)

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's been a year already! What a crazy year for you guys...but how incredible that you got to go through it together, lean on each other, and grow in Christ together. I'm so glad you're blogging! Now I get a glimpse into Ashley's mind whenever I want! Maybe I'll join the blog world one day...when I decide to get vulnerable and expose my thoughts to the world. I'm getting a little too philosophical for a comment. Talk to you soon. No baby yet! Due date is a week from tomorrow and I'm so ready. Love you and congrats on one year!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Hey, happy anniversary! This is Jessica, as in the-Jessica-married-to-Kent-who-used-to-lead-worship-at-Destiny-Place. I'm glad you have a blog now. They're so much fun. Kent and I celebrated our 4th on the 15th. By the way, we've been going to Redeemer Presbyterian on St. Charles now for the last 2 months. We actually saw Ashley and Jason (sorry I don't know their last names) from Destiny place at the church the last 2 sundays. So, that was kinda cool. Anyway, sorry this comment got a little long. I'll put you in my Kinja!

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home